For the purposes of this part, terms are defined as follows:
(a) Member of the naval service. This term includes:
(1) A person appointed, enlisted, or inducted into the Regular Navy, Regular Marine Corps, Naval Reserve or Marine Corps Reserve, and includes a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy;
(2) Enlisted members of the Fleet Reserve and Fleet Marine Corps Reserve and retired members;
(3) A member of the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps when ordered to annual training duty for 14 days or more, and while performing authorized travel to and from that duty; and
(4) Any person while en route to or from, or at a place for final acceptance for entry upon active duty in the naval service who has been ordered or directed to go to that place, and who has been provisionally accepted for such duty.
(b) Active duty. This term is defined as (1) full-time duty performed by a member of the naval service, other than active duty for training, or (2) as a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy, and (3) authorized travel to or from such duty or service.
(c) Active duty for training. Such term means:
(1) Full-time duty performed by a member of a Reserve component of the naval service for training purposes;
(2) Annual training duty performed for a period of 14 days or more by a member of the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps; and
(3) Authorized travel to or from such duty.
(d) Inactive-duty training. Such term is defined as any of the training, instruction, appropriate duties, or equivalent training, instruction, duty, appropriate duties, or hazardous duty performed with or without compensation by a member of a Reserve component prescribed by the Secretary of the Navy pursuant to sections 206, 309, and 1002 of title 37 U.S.C. or any other provision of law. The term does not include:
(1) Work or study performed by a member of a Reserve component in connection with correspondence courses in which he is enrolled, or
(2) Attendance at an educational institution in an inactive status under the sponsorship of the Navy or Marine Corps.
[24 FR 7523, Sept. 16, 1959, as amended at 37 FR 6471, Mar. 30, 1972; 44 FR 25647, May 2, 1979]
Title 32 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.