Obtaining an Attachment for NLSs to the IOPP Certificate and obtaining an NLS Certificate.
(a) The Coast Guard or a classification society authorized under 46 CFR part 8 issues an Attachment for NLSs to the IOPP Certificate to an oceangoing ship to allow the carriage of a Category C oil-like NLS or a Category D oil-like NLS if the following requirements are met:
(1) Except for ships that are not configured and are not equipped to ballast or wash cargo tanks while proceeding en route, the ship must have a Coast Guard approved monitor under § 157.12 that is approved for the cargoes that are desired to be carried.
(2) Except as required by paragraph (a)(3), ships of 150 meters or less in length carrying a Category C oil-like NLS must meet the damage stability requirements applying to a Type III hull as provided by Regulation 14 (c) of Annex II.
(3) A U.S. self propelled ship of 150 meters or less in length on a coastwise voyage carrying a Category C oil-like NLS must meet the damage stability requirements applying to a Type III hull as provided by 46 CFR part 172, subpart F except §§ 172.130 and 172.133.
(b) Except as allowed in paragraph (c) of this section, the Coast Guard or a classification society authorized under 46 CFR part 8 issues an NLS Certificate endorsed to allow the oceangoing ship engaged in a foreign voyage to carry a Category D NLS listed in § 151.47 if the ship has—
(1) An approved Procedures and Arrangements Manual and Cargo Record Book, both meeting the requirements in 46 CFR 153.490; and
(2) A residue discharge system meeting 46 CFR 153.470, unless the approved Procedures and Arrangements Manual limits discharge of Category D NLS residue to the alternative provided by 46 CFR 153.1128(b).
(c) The Coast Guard or a classification society authorized under 46 CFR part 8 issues a NLS Certificate with the statement that the vessel is prohibited from discharging NLS residues to the sea if the vessel does not meet 46 CFR 153.470 and 153.490 but meets 46 CFR subpart 98.31.
[CGD 75-124a, 48 FR 45709, Oct. 6, 1983, as amended by CGD 95-010, 62 FR 67532, Dec. 24, 1997]
Title 33 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 33.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.