(1) Each manned oceangoing ship (other than a fixed or floating platform) of 40 feet or more in length that is documented under the laws of the United States or numbered by a state and that either is engaged in commerce or is equipped with a galley and berthing.
(2) Each manned fixed or floating platform that is—
(i) Documented under the laws of the United States; or
(ii) Operating under the authority of the United States, including, but not limited to, a lease or permit issued by an agency of the United States.
(b) The master or person in charge of a ship under paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section shall ensure that the ship is not operated unless a waste management plan meeting paragraph (c) of this section is on the ship and that each person handling garbage follows the plan.
(c) Each waste management plan under paragraph (b) of this section must be in writing and—
(1) Provide for the discharge of garbage by means that meet Annex V of MARPOL 73/78, the Act, and §§ 151.51 through 151.77;
(2) Describe procedures for collecting, processing, storing, and discharging garbage; and
(3) Designate the person who is in charge of carrying out the plan.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1625-0072)
[CGD 88-002A, 55 FR 18582, May 2, 1990, as amended by USCG-2006-25150, 71 FR 39209, July 12, 2006]
Title 33 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 33.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.