(a) Using the following procedures, the COTP may require the facility operator to amend the operations manual if the COTP finds that the operations manual does not meet the requirements in this part:
(1) The COTP will notify the facility operator in writing of any inadequacies in the Operations Manual. The facility operator may submit written information, views, and arguments regarding the inadequacies identified, and proposals for amending the Manual, within 45 days from the date of the COTP notice. After considering all relevant material presented, the COTP shall notify the facility operator of any amendment required or adopted, or the COTP shall rescind the notice. The amendment becomes effective 60 days after the facility operator receives the notice, unless the facility operator petitions the Commandant to review the COTP's notice, in which case its effective date is delayed pending a decision by the Commandant. Petitions to the Commandant must be submitted in writing via the COTP who issued the requirement to amend the Operations Manual.
(2) If the COTP finds that there is a condition requiring immediate action to prevent the discharge or risk of discharge of oil or hazardous material that makes the procedure in paragraph (a)(1) of this section impractical or contrary to the public interest, the COTP may issue an amendment effective on the date the facility operator receives notice of it. In such a case, the COTP shall include a brief statement of the reasons for the findings in the notice. The owner or operator may petition the Commandant to review the amendment, but the petition does not delay the amendment.
(b) The facility operator may propose amendments to the operations manual by:
(1) Submitting any proposed amendment and reasons for the amendment to the COTP not less than 30 days before the requested effective date of the proposed amendment; or
(2) If an immediate amendment is needed, requesting the COTP to approve the amendment immediately.
(c) The COTP shall respond to proposed amendments submitted under paragraph (b) of this section by:
(1) Approving or disapproving the proposed amendments;
(2) Advising the facility operator whether the request is approved, in writing, before the requested date of the amendments;
(3) Including any reasons in the written response if the request is disapproved; and
(4) If the request is made under paragraph (b)(2) of this section immediately approving or rejecting the request.
(d) Amendments to personnel and telephone number lists required by § 154.310(a)(7) of this part do not require examination by the COTP, but the COTP must be advised of such amendments as they occur.
[CGD 75-124, 45 FR 7171, Jan. 31, 1980, as amended by CGD 86-034, 55 FR 36253, Sept. 4, 1990; CGD 93-056, 61 FR 41459, Aug. 8, 1996]
Title 33 published on 2014-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 33.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.