33 CFR 223.1 - Mississippi River Water Control Management Board.
prev | next
(a) Purpose. This regulation establishes and prescribes the objectives, composition, responsibilities and authority of the Mississippi River Water Control Management Board.
(b) Applicability. This regulation is applicable to the Board members and to all field operating agencies concerned with water control management within the Mississippi River Basin.
(1) To provide oversight and guidance during the development of basin-wide management plans for Mississippi River Basin projects for which the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has operation/regulation responsibilities.
(2) To serve as a forum for resolution of water control problems among U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Divisions within the Mississippi River Basin when agreement is otherwise unobtainable.
(d) Composition. The Mississippi River Water Control Management Board is a continuing board consisting of the Director of Civil Works and Division Engineers serving in LMVD, MRD, ORD, NCD and SWD. The Director of Civil Works serves as permanent chairperson.
(e) Responsibilities. The Board functions under the general direction of the Chief of Engineers and is responsible for:
(1) Oversight of procedures for maintaining and improving inter-divisional coordination of water control management activities within the Mississippi River Basin.
(2) Oversight of the development and use of facilities (physical and computer models, Automatic Data Processing Equipment, and communications and information dissemination networks) needed to provide the best obtainable water control system for the entire Mississippi River Basin, utilizing the coordinated capabilities of projects now in operation and scheduled to be placed in operation in the reasonably near future.
(3) Oversight of basin-wide operating/regulation plans for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects in the Mississippi River Basin.
(1) The Board meets periodically to review past activities and project operations, and to discuss new or revised basin-wide operating/regulation plans.
(2) The Board acts on all proposals for (temporary or permanent) deviation from approved basin-wide operating plans.
(3) The Board provides instructions to committees under its jurisdiction and reviews their recommendations for improvements in basin-wide water control management.
(g) Board authority. The Mississippi River Water Control Management Board is delegated authority to establish continuing or ad hoc inter-divisional operating or study committees comprised of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers personnel to facilitate the work of the Board.
(h) Funding. Routine activities of the Mississippi River Water Control Management Board and its committees, such as travel and meeting expenses, will be funded by the separate members' offices using General Expense funds otherwise available. Major expenses connected with special studies or activities will be funded through the normal budgetary process. Budget requests will be supported by appropriate justification material.
(Act of Congress approved 1 March 1917, (33 U.S.C. 701) and sec. 2 of the Act of Congress approved 28 June 1938 as amended (33 U.S.C. 701c-1))
[43 FR 52236, Nov. 9, 1978]
Title 33 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.