(1) Each State must demonstrate in its State plan that the State has developed and is implementing, beginning with the 2002-2003 school year, a single, statewide accountability system.
(2) The State's accountability system must be effective in ensuring that all public elementary and secondary schools and LEAs in the State make AYP as defined in §§ 200.13 through 200.20.
(b) The State's accountability system must—
(1) Be based on the State's academic standards under § 200.1, academic assessments under § 200.2, and other academic indicators under § 200.19;
(2) Take into account the achievement of all public elementary and secondary school students;
(3) Be the same accountability system the State uses for all public elementary and secondary schools and all LEAs in the State; and
(4) Include sanctions and rewards that the State will use to hold public elementary and secondary schools and LEAs accountable for student achievement and for making AYP, except that the State is not required to subject schools and LEAs not participating under subpart A of this part to the requirements of section 1116 of the ESEA.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1810-0576)