(1) A school operating a schoolwide program must conduct a comprehensive needs assessment of the entire school that—
(i) Is based on academic achievement information about all students in the school, including all groups under § 200.13(b)(7) and migratory children as defined in section 1309(2) of the ESEA, relative to the State's academic standards under § 200.1 to—
(A) Help the school understand the subjects and skills for which teaching and learning need to be improved; and
(B) Identify the specific academic needs of students and groups of students who are not yet achieving the State's academic standards; and
(ii) Assesses the needs of the school relative to each of the components of the schoolwide program under § 200.28.
(2) The comprehensive needs assessment must be developed with the participation of individuals who will carry out the schoolwide program plan.
(3) The school must document how it conducted the needs assessment, the results it obtained, and the conclusions it drew from those results.
(b)Comprehensive plan. Using data from the comprehensive needs assessment under paragraph (a) of this section, a school that wishes to operate a schoolwide program must develop a comprehensive plan, in accordance with § 200.27, that describes how the school will improve academic achievement throughout the school, but particularly for those students furthest away from demonstrating proficiency, so that all students demonstrate at least proficiency on the State's academic standards.
(c)Evaluation. A school operating a schoolwide program must—
(1) Annually evaluate the implementation of, and results achieved by, the schoolwide program, using data from the State's annual assessments and other indicators of academic achievement;
(2) Determine whether the schoolwide program has been effective in increasing the achievement of students in meeting the State's academic standards, particularly for those students who had been furthest from achieving the standards; and
(3) Revise the plan, as necessary, based on the results of the evaluation, to ensure continuous improvement of students in the schoolwide program.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1810-0581)