(a) A paraprofessional covered under § 200.58 may not be assigned a duty inconsistent with paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) A paraprofessional covered under § 200.58 may perform the following instructional support duties:
(1) One-on-one tutoring for eligible students if the tutoring is scheduled at a time when a student would not otherwise receive instruction from a teacher.
(2) Assisting in classroom management.
(3) Assisting in computer instruction.
(4) Conducting parent involvement activities.
(5) Providing instructional support in a library or media center.
(6) Acting as a translator.
(7) Providing instructional support services.
(1) A paraprofessional may not provide instructional support to a student unless the paraprofessional is working under the direct supervision of a teacher who meets the requirements in § 200.56.
(2) A paraprofessional works under the direct supervision of a teacher if—
(i) The teacher plans the instructional activities that the paraprofessional carries out;
(ii) The teacher evaluates the achievement of the students with whom the paraprofessional is working; and
(iii) The paraprofessional works in close and frequent physical proximity to the teacher.
(d) A paraprofessional may assume limited duties that are assigned to similar personnel who are not working in a program supported with funds under subpart A of this part—including non-instructional duties and duties that do not benefit participating students—if the amount of time the paraprofessional spends on those duties is the same proportion of total work time as the time spent by similar personnel at the same school.