34 CFR 263.3 - What definitions apply to the Professional Development program?
The following definitions apply to the Professional Development program:
Bureau-funded school means a Bureau school, a contract or grant school, or a school for which assistance is provided under the Tribally Controlled Schools Act of 1988.
Department means the U.S. Department of Education.
Dependent allowance means costs for the care of minor children under the age of 18 who reside with the training participant and for whom the participant has responsibility. The term does not include financial obligations for payment of child support required of the participant.
Expenses means tuition and required fees; health insurance required by the institution of higher education; room, personal living expenses, and board at or near the institution; dependent allowance; and instructional supplies.
Full course load means the number of credit hours that the institution requires of a full-time student.
Full-time student means a student who—
Good standing means a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 grade point scale in which failing grades are computed as part of the average, or another appropriate standard established by the institution.
Graduate degree means a post-baccalaureate degree awarded by an institution of higher education beyond the undergraduate level.
Indian means an individual who is—
(1) A member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the Indian tribe or band, including any tribe or band terminated since 1940, and any tribe or band recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides;
(2) A descendant of a parent or grandparent who meets the requirements of paragraph (1) of this definition;
(5) A member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988 as it was in effect October 19, 1994.
Indian institution of higher education means an accredited college or university within the United States cited in section 532 of the Equity in Educational Land-Grant Status Act of 1994, any other institution that qualifies for funding under the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978, and the Navajo Community College, authorized in the Navajo Community College Assistance Act of 1978.
Indian organization means an organization that—
(4) If located on an Indian reservation, operates with the sanction or by charter of the governing body of that reservation;
(5) Is neither an organization or subdivision of, nor under the direct control of, any institution of higher education; and
Induction services means services provided after the participant completes his or her training program and includes, at a minimum, these activities:
(3) Periodic assessment of, and feedback sessions on, the participant's performance, provided in coordination with the participant's supervisor,
(4) Periodic meetings or seminars for participants to enhance collaboration, feedback, and peer networking and support.
In-service training means professional activities and opportunities designed to enhance the skills and abilities of individuals in their current areas of employment.
Institution of higher education means an accredited college or university within the United States that awards a baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate degree.
Participant means an Indian individual who is being trained under the Professional Development program.
Payback means work-related service or cash reimbursement to the Department of Education for the training received under the Professional Development program.
Pre-service training means training to Indian individuals to prepare them to meet the requirements for licensing or certification in a professional field requiring at least a baccalaureate degree.
Professional development activities means in-service training offered to enhance the skills and abilities of individual participants.
Secretary means the Secretary of the Department of Education or an official or employee of the Department acting for the Secretary under a delegation of authority.
Stipend means that portion of an award that is used for room and board and personal living expenses.
Only full-time students are eligible for stipends.
Undergraduate degree means a baccalaureate (bachelor's) degree awarded by an institution of higher education.
Title 34 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.