34 CFR 600.11 - Special rules regarding institutional accreditation or preaccreditation.
prev | next
(a) Change of accrediting agencies. For purposes of §§ 600.4(a)(5)(i), 600.5(a)(6), and 600.6(a)(5)(i), the Secretary does not recognize the accreditation or preaccreditation of an otherwise eligible institution if that institution is in the process of changing its accrediting agency, unless the institution provides to the Secretary—
(b) Multiple accreditation. The Secretary does not recognize the accreditation or preaccreditation of an otherwise eligible institution if that institution is accredited or preaccredited as an institution by more than one accrediting agency, unless the institution—
(1) Provides to each such accrediting agency and the Secretary the reasons for that multiple accreditation or preaccreditation;
(2) Demonstrates to the Secretary reasonable cause for that multiple accreditation or preaccreditation; and
(3) Designates to the Secretary which agency's accreditation or preaccreditation the institution uses to establish its eligibility under this part.
(1) An institution may not be considered eligible for 24 months after it has had its accreditation or preaccreditation withdrawn, revoked, or otherwise terminated for cause, unless the accrediting agency that took that action rescinds that action.
(2) An institution may not be considered eligible for 24 months after it has withdrawn voluntarily from its accreditation or preaccreditation status under a show-cause or suspension order issued by an accrediting agency, unless that agency rescinds its order.
(1) If an otherwise eligible institution loses its accreditation or preaccreditation, the Secretary considers the institution to be accredited or preaccredited for purposes of complying with the provisions of §§ 600.4, 600.5, and 600.6 if the Secretary determines that its loss of accreditation or preaccreditation—
(2) If the Secretary considers an unaccredited institution to be accredited or preaccredited under the provisions of paragraph (d)(1) of this section, the Secretary will consider that unaccredited institution to be accredited or preaccredited for a period sufficient to allow the institution to obtain alternative accreditation or preaccreditation, except that period may not exceed 18 months.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1099b)
Title 34 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.