34 CFR 600.32 - Eligibility of additional locations.
prev | next
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, to qualify as an eligible location, an additional location of an eligible institution must satisfy the applicable requirements of this section and §§ 600.4, 600.5, 600.6, 600.8, and 600.10.
(b) To qualify as an eligible location, an additional location is not required to satisfy the two-year requirement of §§ 600.5(a)(7) or 600.6(a)(6), unless—
(1) The location was a facility of another institution that has closed or ceased to provide educational programs for a reason other than a normal vacation period or a natural disaster that directly affects the institution or the institution's students;
(2) The applicant institution acquired, either directly from the institution that closed or ceased to provide educational programs, or through an intermediary, the assets at the location; and
(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (b) of this section, an additional location is not required to satisfy the two-year requirement of § 600.5(a)(7) or § 600.6(a)(6) if the applicant institution agrees—
(1) To be liable for all improperly expended or unspent title IV, HEA program funds received by the institution that has closed or ceased to provide educational programs;
(2) To be liable for all unpaid refunds owed to students who received title IV, HEA program funds; and
(3) To abide by the policy of the institution that has closed or ceased to provide educational programs regarding refunds of institutional charges to students in effect before the date of the acquisition of the assets of the additional location for the students who were enrolled before that date.
(1) An institution that conducts a teach-out at a site of a closed institution may apply to have that site approved as an additional location if—
(i) The closed institution ceased operations and the Secretary has taken an action to limit, suspend, or terminate the institution's participation under § 600.41 or subpart G of this part, or has taken an emergency action under 34 CFR 668.83; and
(ii) The teach-out plan required under 34 CFR 668.14(b)(31) is approved by the closed institution's accrediting agency.
(i) An institution that conducts a teach-out and is approved to add an additional location described in paragraph (d)(1) of this section—
(A) Does not have to meet the two-year in existence requirement of § 600.5(a)(7) or § 600.6(a)(6) for the additional location described in paragraph (d)(1) of this section;
(B) Is not responsible for any liabilities of the closed institution as provided under paragraph (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this section if the institutions are not related parties and there is no commonality of ownership or management between the institutions, as described in 34 CFR 668.188(b) and 34 CFR 668.207(b); and
(C) Will not have the default rate of the closed institution included in the calculation of its default rate, as would otherwise be required under 34 CFR 668.184 and 34 CFR 668.203, if the institutions are not related parties and there is no commonality of ownership or management between the institutions, as described in 34 CFR 668.188(b) and 34 CFR 668.207(b).
(ii) As a condition for approving an additional location under paragraph (d)(1) of this section, the Secretary may require that payments from the institution conducting the teach-out to the owners or related parties of the closed institution, are used to satisfy any liabilities owed by the closed institution.
(e) For purposes of this section, an “additional location” is a location of an institution that was not designated as an eligible location in the eligibility notification provided to an institution under § 600.21.
[59 FR 22336, Apr. 29, 1994, as amended at 74 FR 55933, Oct. 29, 2009]
Title 34 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.