(a) An institution whose participation in a Title IV, HEA program has been limited may not apply for removal of the limitation before the expiration of 12 months from the effective date of the limitation.
(b) A third-party servicer whose eligibility to contract with any institution to administer any aspect of the institution's participation in a Title IV, HEA program has been limited may request removal of the limitation.
(c) The institution or servicer may not apply for removal of the limitation before the later of the expiration of—
(1) Twelve months from the effective date of the limitation; or
(2) A debarment or suspension under Executive Order 12549 (3 CFR, 1986 Comp., p. 189) or the Federal Acquisition Regulations, 48 CFR part 9, subpart 9.4.
(d) If the institution or servicer requests removal of the limitation, the request must be in writing and show that the institution or servicer, as applicable, has corrected the violation or violations on which the limitation was based.
(e) No later than 60 days after the Secretary receives the request, the Secretary responds to the institution or servicer—
(1) Granting its request;
(2) Denying its request; or
(3) Granting the request subject to other limitation or limitations.
(f) If the Secretary denies the request or establishes other limitations, the Secretary grants the institution or servicer, upon the institution's or servicer's request, an opportunity to show cause why the participation or eligibility, as applicable, should be fully reinstated.
(g) The institution's or servicer's request for an opportunity to show cause does not waive—
(1) The institution's right to participate in any or all Title IV, HEA programs if it complies with the continuing limitation or limitations pending the outcome of the opportunity to show cause; and
(2) The servicer's right to contract with any institution to administer any aspect of the institution's participation in any Title IV, HEA program, if the servicer complies with the continuing limitation pending the outcome of the opportunity to show cause.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1094; E.O. 12549 (3 CFR, 1986 Comp., p. 189), 12689 (3 CFR, 1989 Comp., p. 235))
[59 FR 22451, Apr. 29, 1994]
Title 34 published on 2013-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 34.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.