(a)General. Each institution shall exercise due diligence in collecting loans by complying with the provisions in this subpart. In exercising this responsibility, each institution shall, in addition to complying with the specific provisions of this subpart—
(1) Keep the borrower informed, on a timely basis, of all changes in the program that affect his or her rights or responsibilities; and
(2) Respond promptly to all inquiries from the borrower.
(3) Provide the borrower with information on the availability of the Student Loan Ombudsman's office if the borrower disputes the terms of the loan in writing and the institution does not resolve the dispute.
(b)Coordination of information. An institution shall ensure that information available in its offices (including the admissions, business, alumni, placement, financial aid and registrar's offices) is provided to those offices responsible for billing and collecting loans, in a timely manner, as needed to determine—
(1) The enrollment status of the borrower;
(2) The expected graduation or termination date of the borrower;
(3) The date the borrower withdraws, is expelled or ceases enrollment on at least a half-time basis; and
(4) The current name, address, telephone number and Social Security number of the borrower.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1845-0023)