Employment provided by a Federal, State, or local public agency, or a private nonprofit organization.
(a) If a student is employed by a Federal, State, or local public agency, or a private nonprofit organization, the work that the student performs must be in the public interest.
(b) FWS employment in the public interest. The Secretary considers work in the public interest to be work performed for the national or community welfare rather than work performed to benefit a particular interest or group. Work is not in the public interest if—
(1) It primarily benefits the members of a limited membership organization such as a credit union, a fraternal or religious order, or a cooperative;
(2) It is for an elected official who is not responsible for the regular administration of Federal, State, or local government;
(3) It is work as a political aide for any elected official;
(4) A student's political support or party affiliation is taken into account in hiring him or her;
(5) It involves any partisan or nonpartisan political activity or is associated with a faction in an election for public or party office; or
(6) It involves lobbying on the Federal, State, or local level.
(Authority: 42 U.S.C. 2753)
[52 FR 45770, Dec. 1, 1987, as amended at 57 FR 32356, July 21, 1992; 59 FR 61419, Nov. 30, 1994]
Title 34 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.