What other activities may all GEAR UP projects provide?
A grantee may use grant funds to carry out one or more of the following services and activities:
(a) Providing tutors and mentors, who may include adults or former participants in a GEAR UP program, for eligible students.
(b) Conducting outreach activities to recruit priority students (identified in section 404D(d) of the HEA) to participate in program activities.
(c) Providing supportive services to eligible students.
(d) Supporting the development or implementation of rigorous academic curricula, which may include college preparatory, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate programs, and providing participating students access to rigorous core academic courses that reflect challenging State academic standards.
(e) Supporting dual or concurrent enrollment programs between the secondary school and institution of higher education partners of a GEAR UP Partnership, and other activities that support participating students in—
(1) Meeting challenging State academic standards;
(2) Successfully applying for postsecondary education;
(3) Successfully applying for student financial aid; and
(4) Developing graduation and career plans, including career awareness and planning assistance as they relate to a rigorous academic curriculum.
(f) Providing special programs or tutoring in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
(g) For Partnerships, providing scholarships described in section 404E of the HEA, and for all grantees providing appropriate administrative support for GEAR UP scholarships.
(h) Introducing eligible students to institutions of higher education, through trips and school-based sessions.
(i) Providing an intensive extended school day, school year, or summer program that offers—
(1) Additional academic classes; or
(2) Assistance with college admission applications.
(j) Providing other activities designed to ensure secondary school completion and postsecondary education enrollment of at-risk children, such as:
(1) Identification of at-risk children.
(2) After-school and summer tutoring.
(3) Assistance to at-risk children in obtaining summer jobs.
(4) Academic counseling.
(5) Financial and economic literacy education or counseling.
(6) Volunteer and parent involvement.
(7) Encouraging former or current participants of a GEAR UP program to serve as peer counselors.
(8) Skills assessments.
(9) Personal and family counseling, and home visits.
(10) Staff development.
(11) Programs and activities that are specially designed for students who are limited English proficient.
(k) Enabling eligible students to enroll in Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses, or college entrance examination preparation courses.
(l) Providing services to eligible students in the participating cohort described in § 694.3 through the first year of attendance at an institution of higher education.
(m) Fostering and improving parent and family involvement in elementary and secondary education by promoting the advantages of a college education, and emphasizing academic admission requirements and the need to take college preparation courses, through parent engagement and leadership activities.
(n) Disseminating information that promotes the importance of higher education, explains college preparation and admission requirements, and raises awareness of the resources and services provided by the eligible entities to eligible students, their families, and communities.
(o) For a GEAR UP Partnership grant, in the event that matching funds described in the approved application are no longer available, engaging other potential partners in a collaborative manner to provide matching resources and to participate in other activities authorized in §§ 694.21, 694.22, and 694.23.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1070a-24(b))
[75 FR 65801, Oct. 26, 2010]
Title 34 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.