(a) Statutory fee waiver. Documents shall be furnished without charge or at a charge reduced below the fees chargeable under § 1007.9 if disclosure of the information is in the public interest because it:
(1) Is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government and
(2) Is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester.
(b) Elimination or reduction of fees. Ordinarily, in the circumstances where the criteria of paragraph (a) of this section are met, fees will be reduced by twenty-five percent from the fees otherwise chargeable to the requester. In exceptional circumstances, and with the approval of the Executive Director, fees may be reduced below this level or waived entirely.
(c) Notice of denial. If a requested statutory fee waiver or reduction is denied, the requester shall be notified in writing. The notice shall include:
(1) A statement of the basis on which the waiver or reduction has been denied;
(2) A listing of the names and titles or positions of each person responsible for the denial; and
(3) A statement that the denial may be appealed to the Executive Director and a description of the procedures in § 1007.7 for appeal.
Title 36 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.