How do agencies temporarily extend retention periods?
(a) Agencies must secure NARA written approval to retain records series or systems that are eligible for destruction under NARA-approved schedules except when:
(1) The agency has requested a change in the records schedule in accordance with § 1225.26 of this subchapter, in which case the agency is authorized to retain records eligible for destruction until the new SF 115 is approved;
(2) The records will be needed for less than one year; or
(3) A court order requires retention of the records.
(b) To request an extension, agencies must send a letter to the National Archives and Records Administration, Modern Records Programs (NWM), 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, phone number (301) 837-1738. Along with a justification, the request must include:
(1) A concise description of the records series for which the extension is requested.
(2) A citation to the agency records schedule or the GRS currently governing disposition of the records;
(3) A statement of the estimated period of time that the records will be required; and
(4) For records in the agency's custody, a statement of the current and proposed physical location of the records.
(c) Agencies must ensure that records in records storage facilities are retained for the duration of the extension.
Title 36 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.