(a) In the case of cable, ephemeral recordings, certain digital audio transmissions, phonorecords, digital phonorecord deliveries, and coin-operated phonorecord players (jukeboxes), rate adjustment proceedings shall commence with the filing of a petition by an interested party according to the following schedule:
(1) Cable: During 1995, and each subsequent fifth calendar year.
(2) Ephemeral recordings: During a 60-day period prescribed by the Librarian in 1999, 2000, and at 2-year intervals thereafter, or as otherwise agreed to by the parties.
(3) Digital audio transmissions: For preexisting digital subscription transmission services and preexisting satellite digital audio radio services:
(i) During a 60-day period commencing on July 1, 2001 and at 5-year intervals thereafter, or
(ii) During a 60-day period prescribed by the Librarian in a proceeding to set reasonable terms and rates for a new type of subscription digital audio transmission service; and for an eligible nonsubscription service or a new subscription service:
(A) During a 60-day period prescribed by the Librarian in 1999,
(B) During a 60-day period commencing on July 1, 2000, and at 2-year intervals thereafter,
(C) During a 60-day period prescribed by the Librarian in a proceeding to set reasonable terms and rates for a new type of eligible nonsubscription service or new subscription service, or
(D) As otherwise agreed to by the parties.
(4) Phonorecords: During 1997 and each subsequent tenth calendar year.
(5) Digital phonorecord deliveries: During 1997 and each subsequent fifth calendar year, or as otherwise agreed to by the parties.
(6) Coin-operated phonorecord players (jukeboxes): Within one year of the expiration or termination of a negotiated license authorized by 17 U.S.C. 116.
(b) Cable rate adjustment proceedings may also be commenced by the filing of a petition, according to 17 U.S.C. 801(b)(2)(B) and (C), if the Federal Communications Commission amends certain of its rules with respect to the carriage by cable systems of broadcast signals, or with respect to syndicated and sports programming exclusivity.
(c) In the case of noncommercial educational broadcasting, a petition is not necessary for the commencement of proceedings. Proceedings commence with the publication of a notice of the initiation of arbitration proceedings in the Federal Register on June 30, 1997, and at five year intervals thereafter.
(d) In the case of the satellite carrier compulsory license, rate adjustment proceedings shall commence on January 1, 1997, in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 119(c)(3)(A), for satellite carriers who are not parties to a voluntary agreement filed with the Copyright Office in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 119(c)(2).
[59 FR 23981, May 9, 1994, as amended at 59 FR 63042, Dec. 7, 1994; 61 FR 37215, July 17. 1996; 63 FR 65556, Nov. 27, 1998]
Title 37 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.