(a) The term health-plan contract means any of the following:
(1) An insurance policy or contract, medical or hospital service agreement, membership or subscription contract, or similar arrangement under which health services for individuals are provided or the expenses of such services are paid;
(2) An insurance program described in section 1811 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395c) or established by section 1831 of that Act (42 U.S.C. 1395j );
(3) A State plan for medical assistance approved under title XIX of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1396et seq. );
(4) A workers' compensation law or plan described in section 38 U.S.C. 1729(a)(2)(A); or
(5) A law of a State or political subdivision described in 38 U.S.C. 1729(a)(2)(B) (concerning motor vehicle accidents).
(b) The term third party means any of the following:
(1) A Federal entity;
(2) A State or political subdivision of a State;
(3) An employer or an employer's insurance carrier;
(4) An automobile accident reparations insurance carrier; or
(5) A person or entity obligated to provide, or to pay the expenses of, health services under a health-plan contract.
(c) The term duplicate payment means payment made, in whole or in part, for the same emergency services for which VA reimbursed or made payment.
(d) The term stabilized means that no material deterioration of the emergency medical condition is likely, within reasonable medical probability, to occur if the veteran is discharged or transferred to a VA or other Federal facility.
(e) The term VA medical facility of jurisdiction means the nearest VA medical facility to where the emergency service was provided.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1725)
Title 38 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 38.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.