38 CFR 21.5136 - Benefit payments
(1) The Department of Veterans Affairs may authorize benefits to qualified enlisted servicepersons for a course, courses or program of education leading to a secondary school diploma or an equivalency certificate without charge to entitlement. Payments may be made only if:
(2) An individual who is not on active duty must have been an enlisted serviceperson while he or she was on active duty in order to receive benefits while enrolled in a course, courses or program of education leading to a secondary school diploma or an equivalency certificate.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3231(b))
(b) Monthly rate. An individual pursuing a course, courses or a program of education leading to a secondary school diploma or an equivalency certificate will receive one of two monthly rates.
(1) Unless the individual notifies the Department of Veterans Affairs to the contrary, the monthly rate of his or her educational assistance allowance will be based upon his or her tuition and fees. The Department of Veterans Affairs will make no charge against the entitlement of the individual who is receiving benefits at this monthly rate. The monthly rate will be the rate of tuition and fees being charged to the individual for the course, not to exceed:
(2) The individual may elect to receive educational assistance allowance at the monthly rate provided in § 21.5138. The Department of Veterans Affairs will make an appropriate charge against the individual's entitlement if such an election is made.
(1) If the individual's educational assistance allowance is based upon the rate as determined in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, payment shall be made in a lump sum for the term, quarter or semester at the beginning of the month in which training begins.
(2) If the individual elects to have his or her educational assistance allowance computed as provided in § 21.5138, payment will be made in the same manner as for any other residence training.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3241)
[47 FR 51746, Nov. 17, 1982, as amended at 50 FR 19933, May 13, 1985]
Title 38 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.