§ 21.7138Rates of supplemental educational assistance.
In addition to basic educational assistance, a veteran or servicemember who is eligible for supplemental educational assistance and entitled to it shall be paid supplemental educational assistance at the rate described in this section unless a lesser rate is required by § 21.7139 of this part.
(a)Rates for veterans.
(1) Except for a veteran pursuing apprenticeship or other on-job training, the rate of supplemental educational assistance payable to a veteran is at least the rate stated in this table.
(b)Increase in supplemental educational assistance rates (“kicker”). The Secretary concerned may increase the amount of supplemental educational assistance payable to an individual who has a skill or specialty which the Secretary concerned designates as having a critical shortage of personnel or for which it is difficult to recruit. The amount of the increase is set by the Secretary concerned, but—
(1) For an individual other than one pursuing an apprenticeship or other on-job training or cooperative training it may not exceed—
(c)Rates of supplemental educational assistance for less than one-half-time training and for servicemembers. The monthly rate of supplemental educational assistance payable to a veteran who is training less than half-time or to a servicemember is determined as follows:
(1) The monthly rate of the veteran's or servicemember's basic educational assistance determined as provided in §§ 21.7136(e) and 21.7137(b), (c) and (d) of this part.
(2) If the monthly rate of basic educational assistance equals or is greater than the monthly rate of the cost of the course, no supplemental educational assistance is payable.
(3) If the monthly rate of basic educational assistance is less than monthly rate of the cost of the course, the monthly rate of supplemental educational assistance is the lesser of—
(i) The monthly rate provided in paragraph (a) of this section, plus the monthly rate provided in paragraph (b) of this section, if appropriate, or
(ii) The difference between the monthly rate of the cost of the course and the monthly rate of the veteran's or servicemember's basic educational assistance.