(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, any person eligible to elect improved pension under § 3.711 or 3.712 who is in receipt of section 306 or old-law pension on December 31, 1978, shall in the absence of an election to receive improved pension, continue to receive such pension at the monthly rate payable on December 31, 1978.
(b) Termination. Pension payable under paragraph (a) of this section shall be terminated for any one of the following reasons:
(1) A veteran pensioner ceases to be permanently and totally disabled.
(2) A surviving spouse pensioner ceases to meet the definition of surviving spouse in 38 U.S.C. 101(3).
(3) A child pensioner ceases to meet the definition of child in 38 U.S.C. 101(4).
(4) A section 306 pensioner's countable annual income, determined under §§ 3.250 to 3.270, exceeds the applicable amount stated in § 3.26(a).
(5) An old-law pensioner's countable annual income determined under §§ 3.250 to 3.270 exceeds the applicable amount stated in § 3.26(c).
(6) A section 306 pensioner has a net worth of such size that it is reasonable that some part of it be consumed for the pensioner's maintenance. Evaluation of net worth shall be made under § 3.263.
(c) Reduction. The pension rate payable under paragraph (a) of this section shall be reduced by the amount of any additional pension payable by reason of a dependent upon the loss of such dependent. A veteran or surviving spouse who no longer has any dependents shall not continue to receive either section 306 pension or old-law pension if countable annual income exceeds the appropriate rate in § 3.26(a), (b), or (c).
(d) Finality of termination. Termination of section 306 pension or old-law pension for one of the reasons listed in paragraph (b) of this section precludes a person from thereafter establishing entitlement under any other pension program except the improved pension program.
(Authority: Sec. 306 of Pub. L. 95-588, 92 Stat. 2497)
[44 FR 45944, Aug. 6, 1979, as amended at 56 FR 28824, June 25, 1991]
Title 38 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 38.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.