40 CFR 146.14 - Information to be considered by the Director.
This section sets forth the information which must be considered by the Director in authorizing Class I wells. For an existing or converted new Class I well the Director may rely on the existing permit file for those items of information listed below which are current and accurate in the file. For a newly drilled Class I well, the Director shall require the submission of all the information listed below. For both existing and new Class I wells certain maps, cross-sections, tabulations of wells within the area of review and other data may be included in the application by reference provided they are current, readily available to the Director (for example, in the permitting agency's files) and sufficiently identified to be retrieved. In cases where EPA issues the permit all the information in this section must be submitted to the Administrator.
(a) Prior to the issuance of a permit for an existing Class I well to operate or the construction or conversion of a new Class I well the Director shall consider the following:
(2) A map showing the injection well(s) for which a permit is sought and the applicable area of review. Within the area of review, the map must show the number, or name, and location of all producing wells, dry holes, surface bodies of water, springs, mines (surface and subsurface), quarries, water wells and other pertinent surface features including residences and roads. The map should also show faults, if known or suspected. Only information of public record is required to be included on this map;
(3) A tabulation of data on all wells within the area of review which penetrate into the proposed injection zone. Such data shall include a description of each well's type, construction, date drilled, location, depth, record of plugging and/or completion, and any additional information the Director may require;
(4) Maps and cross sections indicating the general vertical and lateral limits of all underground sources of drinking water within the area of review, their position relative to the injection formation and the direction of water movement, where known, in each underground source of drinking water which may be affected by the proposed injection;
(iii) Source and an analysis of the chemical, physical, radiological and biological characteristics of injection fluids;
(8) Proposed formation testing program to obtain an analysis of the chemical, physical and radiological characteristics of and other information on the receiving formation;
(11) Schematic or other appropriate drawings of the surface and subsurface construction details of the well.
(12) Contingency plans to cope with all shut-ins or well failures so as to prevent migration of fluids into any underground source of drinking water;
(13) Plans (including maps) for meeting the monitoring requirements in § 146.13(b);
(14) For wells within the area of review which penetrate the injection zone but are not properly completed or plugged, the corrective action proposed to be taken under 40 CFR 144.55;
(15) Construction procedures including a cementing and casing program, logging procedures, deviation checks, and a drilling, testing, and coring program; and
(16) A certificate that the applicant has assured, through a performance bond or other appropriate means, the resources necessary to close, plug or abandon the well as required by 40 CFR 122.42(g).
(b) Prior to granting approval for the operation of a Class I well the Director shall consider the following information:
(2) A demonstration of mechanical integrity pursuant to § 146.8;
(6) The compatibility of injected waste with fluids in the injection zone and minerals in both the injection zone and the confining zone; and
(c) Prior to granting approval for the plugging and abandonment of a Class I well the Director shall consider the following information:
(5) The procedure to be used to meet the requirement of § 146.10(c).
(Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Air Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act: 42 U.S.C. 6905, 6912, 6925, 6927, 6974)
[45 FR 42500, June 24, 1980, as amended at 46 FR 43162, Aug. 27, 1981; 48 FR 14293, Apr. 1, 1983]
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.