Specific part B information requirements for landfills.
Except as otherwise provided in § 264.1, owners and operators of facilities that dispose of hazardous waste in landfills must provide the following additional information:
(a) A list of the hazardous wastes placed or to be placed in each landfill or landfill cell;
(b) Detailed plans and an engineering report describing how the landfill is designed and is or will be constructed, operated, and maintained to meet the requirements of §§ 264.19, 264.301, 264.302, and 264.303 of this chapter, addressing the following items:
(1) (i) The liner system (except for an existing portion of a landfill), if the landfill must meet the requirements of § 264.301(a) of this chapter. If an exemption from the requirement for a liner is sought as provided by § 264.301(b) of this chapter, submit detailed plans, and engineering and hydrogeological reports, as appropriate, describing alternate designs and operating practices that will, in conjunction with location aspects, prevent the migration of any hazardous constituents into the ground water or surface water at any future time;
(ii) The double liner and leak (leachate) detection, collection, and removal system, if the landfill must meet the requirements of § 264.301(c) of this chapter. If an exemption from the requirements for double liners and a leak detection, collection, and removal system or alternative design is sought as provided by § 264.301(d), (e), or (f) of this chapter, submit appropriate information;
(iii) If the leak detection system is located in a saturated zone, submit detailed plans and an engineering report explaining the leak detection system design and operation, and the location of the saturated zone in relation to the leak detection system;
(iv) The construction quality assurance (CQA) plan if required under § 264.19 of this chapter ;
(v) Proposed action leakage rate, with rationale, if required under § 264.302 of this chapter, and response action plan, if required under § 264.303 of this chapter ;
(2) Control of run-on;
(3) Control of run-off;
(4) Management of collection and holding facilities associated with run-on and run-off control systems; and
(5) Control of wind dispersal of particulate matter, where applicable;
(c) A description of how each landfill, including the double liner system, leachate collection and removal system, leak detection system, cover system, and appurtenances for control of run-on and run-off, will be inspected in order to meet the requirements of § 264.303(a), (b), and (c) of this chapter. This information must be included in the inspection plan submitted under § 270.14(b)(5) ;
(d) A description of how each landfill, including the liner and cover systems, will be inspected in order to meet the requirements of § 264.303 (a) and (b). This information should be included in the inspection plan submitted under § 270.14(b)(5).
(e) Detailed plans and an engineering report describing the final cover which will be applied to each landfill or landfill cell at closure in accordance with § 264.310(a), and a description of how each landfill will be maintained and monitored after closure in accordance with § 264.310(b). This information should be included in the closure and post-closure plans submitted under § 270.14(b)(13).
(f) If ignitable or reactive wastes will be landfilled, an explanation of how the standards of § 264.312 will be complied with;
(g) If incompatible wastes, or incompatible wastes and materials will be landfilled, an explanation of how § 264.313 will be complied with;
(h) If bulk or non-containerized liquid waste or wastes containing free liquids is to be landfilled prior to May 8, 1985, an explanation of how the requirements of § 264.314(a) will be complied with;
(i) If containers of hazardous waste are to be landfilled, an explanation of how the requirements of § 264.315 or § 264.316, as applicable, will be complied with.
(j) A waste management plan for EPA Hazardous Waste Nos. FO20, FO21, FO22, FO23, FO26, and FO27 describing how a landfill is or will be designed, constructed, operated, and maintained to meet the requirements of § 264.317. This submission must address the following items as specified in § 264.317 :
(1) The volume, physical, and chemical characteristics of the wastes, including their potential to migrate through soil or to volatilize or escape into the atmosphere;
(2) The attenuative properties of underlying and surrounding soils or other materials;
(3) The mobilizing properties of other materials co-disposed with these wastes; and
(4) The effectiveness of additional treatment, design, or monitoring techniques.
[48 FR 14228, Apr. 1, 1983; 48 FR 30114, June 30, 1983, as amended at 50 FR 2006, Jan. 14, 1985; 50 FR 28752, July 15, 1985; 57 FR 3496, Jan. 29, 1992]
Title 40 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.