(a) In conducting the performance tests required in § 60.8, the owner or operator shall use as reference methods and procedures the test methods in appendix A of this part or other methods and procedures as specified in this section, except as provided for in § 60.8(b).
(b) The owner or operator shall determine compliance with the particulate matter emission standards in § 60.152 as follows:
(1) The emission rate (E) of particulate matter for each run shall be computed using the following equation:
E = Emission rate of particulate matter, g/kg (lb/ton) of dry sludge input.
cs = Concentration of particulate matter, g/dscm (gr/dscf).
Qsd = Volumetric flow rate of effluent gas, dscm/hr (dscf/hr).
S = Charging rate of dry sludge during the run, kg/hr (ton/hr).
K = Conversion factor, 1.0 g/g (7,000 gr/lb).
(2) Method 5 shall be used to determine the particulate matter concentration (cs) and the volumetric flow rate (Qsd) of the effluent gas. The sampling time and sample volume for each run shall be at least 60 minutes and 0.90 dscm (31.8 dscf).
(3) The dry sludge charging rate (S) for each run shall be computed using either of the following equations:
S = Charging rate of dry sludge, kg/hr (ton/hr).
Sm = Total mass of sludge charge, kg (ton).
Rdm = Average mass of dry sludge per unit mass of sludge charged, kg/kg (ton/ton).
θ = Duration of run, hr.
Sv = Total volume of sludge charged, m3 (gal).
Rdv = Average mass of dry sludge per unit volume of sludge charged, kg/m3 (lb/gal).
Kv = Conversion factor, 1 g/g (2,000 lb/ton).
(4) the flow measuring device of § 60.153(a)(1) shall be used to determine the total mass (Sm) or volume (Sv) of sludge charged to the incinerator during each run. If the flow measuring device is on a time rate basis, readings shall be taken and recorded at 5-minute intervals during the run and the total charge of sludge shall be computed using the following equations, as applicable:
Sm = Total mass of sludge charged to the incinerator during the test run.
Sv = Total volume of sludge charged to the incinerator during the test run.
Qmi = Average mass flow rate calculated by averaging the flow rates at the beginning and end of each interval “i,” kg/hr (ton/hr).
Qvi = Average volume flow rate calculated by averaging the flow rates at the beginning and end of each interval “i,” m3/hr (gal/hr).
θi = Duration of interval “i,” hr.
(5) Samples of the sludge charged to the incinerator shall be collected in nonporous jars at the beginning of each run and at approximately 1-hour intervals thereafter until the test ends, and “209 F. Method for Solid and Semisolid Samples” (incorporated by reference—see § 60.17) shall be used to determine dry sludge content of each sample (total solids residue), except that:
(i) Evaporating dishes shall be ignited to at least 103 °C rather than the 550 °C specified in step 3(a)(1).
(ii) Determination of volatile residue, step 3(b) may be deleted.
(iii) The quantity of dry sludge per unit sludge charged shall be determined in terms of kg/m3 (lb/gal) or kg/kg (ton/ton).
(iv) The average dry sludge content shall be the arithmetic average of all the samples taken during the run.
(6) Method 9 and the procedures in § 60.11 shall be used to determine opacity.
(d) The owner or operator of any sludge incinerator subject to the provisions of this subpart shall conduct a performance test during which the monitoring and recording devices required under § 60.153(a)(1), (b)(1), (b)(2), (b)(3), and (b)(4) are installed and operating and for which the sampling and analysis procedures required under § 60.153(b)(5) are performed. The owner or operator shall provide the Administrator at least 30 days prior notice of the performance test to afford the Administrator the opportunity to have an observer present.
(1) For incinerators that commenced construction or modification on or before April 18, 1986, the performance test shall be conducted within 360 days of the effective date of these regulations unless the monitoring and recording devices required under § 60.153(a)(1), (b)(1), (b)(2), (b)(3), and (b)(4) were installed and operating and the sampling and analysis procedures required under § 60.153(b)(5) were performed during the most recent performance test and a record of the measurements taken during the performance test is available.
(2) For incinerators that commence construction or modification after April 18, 1986, the date of the performance test shall be determined by the requirements in § 60.8.
[54 FR 6668, Feb. 14, 1989, as amended at 54 FR 27015, June 27, 1989; 59 FR 5108, Feb. 3, 1994; 65 FR 61756, Oct. 17, 2000]
Title 40 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.