As used in this subpart, all terms not defined herein shall have the meaning given them in the Act and subpart A of this part.
At retail means the sale by a commercial owner of a wood heater to the ultimate purchaser.
Boiler means a solid fuel burning appliance used primarily for heating spaces, other than the space where the appliance is located, by the distribution through pipes of a gas or fluid heated in the appliance. The appliance must be tested and listed as a boiler under accepted American or Canadian safety testing codes. A manufacturer may request an exemption in writing from the Administrator by stating why the testing and listing requirement is not practicable and by demonstrating that his appliance is otherwise a boiler.
Coal-only heater means an enclosed, coal-burning appliance capable of space heating, or domestic water heating, which has all of the following characteristics:
(1) An opening for emptying ash that is located near the bottom or the side of the appliance,
(2) A system that admits air primarily up and through the fuel bed,
(3) A grate or other similar device for shaking or disturbing the fuel bed or power-driven mechanical stoker,
(4) Installation instructions that state that the use of wood in the stove, except for coal ignition purposes, is prohibited by law, and
(5) The model is listed by a nationally recognized safety-testing laboratory for use of coal only, except for coal ignition purposes.
Commercial owner means any person who owns or controls a wood heater in the course of the manufacture, importation, distribution, or sale of the wood heater.
Cookstove means a wood-fired appliance that is designed primarily for cooking food and that has the following characteristics:
(1) An oven, with a volume of 0.028 cubic meters (1 cubic foot) or greater, and an oven rack,
(2) A device for measuring oven temperatures,
(3) A flame path that is routed around the oven,
(4) A shaker grate,
(5) An ash pan,
(6) An ash clean-out door below the oven, and
(7) The absence of a fan or heat channels to dissipate heat from the appliance.
Furnace means a solid fuel burning appliance that is designed to be located outside of ordinary living areas and that warms spaces other than the space where the appliance is located, by the distribution of air heated in the appliance through ducts. The appliance must be tested and listed as a furnace under accepted American or Canadian safety testing codes unless exempted from this provision by the Administrator. A manufacturer may request an exemption in writing from the Administrator by stating why the testing and listing requirement is not practicable and by demonstrating that his appliance is otherwise a furnace.
Manufactured means completed and ready for shipment (whether or not packaged).
Manufacturer means any person who constructs or imports a wood heater.
Model line means all wood heaters offered for sale by a single manufacturer that are similar in all material respects.
Representative affected facility means an individual wood heater that is similar in all material respects to other wood heaters within the model line it represents.
Sale means the transfer of ownership or control, except that transfer of control shall not constitute a sale for purposes of § 60.530(f).
Similar in all material respects means that the construction materials, exhaust and inlet air system, and other design features are within the allowed tolerances for components identified in § 60.533(k).
Wood heater means an enclosed, wood burning appliance capable of and intended for space heating or domestic water heating that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) An air-to-fuel ratio in the combustion chamber averaging less than 35-to-1 as determined by the test procedure prescribed in § 60.534 performed at an accredited laboratory;
(2) A usable firebox volume of less than 0.57 cubic meters (20 cubic feet);
(3) A minimum burn rate of less than 5 kg/hr (11 lb/hr) as determined by the test procedure prescribed in § 60.534 performed at an accredited laboratory; and
(4) A maximum weight of 800 kg (1,760 lb). In determining the weight of an appliance for these purposes, fixtures and devices that are normally sold separately, such as flue pipe, chimney, and masonry components that are not an integral part of the appliance or heat distribution ducting, shall not be included.