(a) In conducting the performance tests required in § 60.8, the owner or operator shall use as reference methods and procedures the test methods in appendix A of this part or other methods and procedures as specified in this section, except as provided in § 60.8(b). Acceptable alternative methods and procedures are given in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) The owner or operator shall determine compliance with the SO2 acid mist, and visible emission standards in §§ 60.82 and 60.83 as follows:
(1) The emission rate (E) of acid mist or SO2 shall be computed for each run using the following equation:
E=emission rate of acid mist or SO2 kg/metric ton (lb/ton) of 100 percent H2SO4 produced.
C=concentration of acid mist or SO2, g/dscm (lb/dscf).
Qsd=volumetric flow rate of the effluent gas, dscm/hr (dscf/hr).
P=production rate of 100 percent H2SO4, metric ton/hr (ton/hr).
K=conversion factor, 1000 g/kg (1.0 lb/lb).
(2) Method 8 shall be used to determine the acid mist and SO2 concentrations (C's) and the volumetric flow rate (Qsd) of the effluent gas. The moisture content may be considered to be zero. The sampling time and sample volume for each run shall be at least 60 minutes and 1.15 dscm (40.6 dscf).
(3) Suitable methods shall be used to determine the production rate (P) of 100 percent H2 SO4 for each run. Material balance over the production system shall be used to confirm the production rate.
(4) Method 9 and the procedures in § 60.11 shall be used to determine opacity.
(c) The owner or operator may use the following as alternatives to the reference methods and procedures specified in this section:
(1) If a source processes elemental sulfur or an ore that contains elemental sulfur and uses air to supply oxygen, the following procedure may be used instead of determining the volumetric flow rate and production rate:
(i) The integrated technique of Method 3 is used to determine the O2 concentration and, if required, CO2 concentration.
(ii) The SO2 or acid mist emission rate is calculated as described in § 60.84(d), substituting the acid mist concentration for Cs as appropriate.
[54 FR 6666, Feb. 14, 1989]
Title 40 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.