(a)Compliance schedule. The owner or operator shall comply with this section no later than the compliance dates specified in the referencing subpart.
(b)Equipment requirement. Each sampling connection system shall be equipped with a closed purge, closed loop, or closed vent system, except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section. Gases displaced during filling of the sample container are not required to be collected or captured.
(c)Equipment design and operation. Each closed-purge, closed-loop, or closed vent system except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section shall meet the applicable requirements specified in paragraphs (c)(1) through (c)(5) of this section.
(1) The system shall return the purged process fluid directly to a process line or fuel gas system meeting the compliance determinations in § 63.1015 or § 63.1002(b) as appropriate; or
(2) Collect and recycle the purged process fluid to a process; or
(3) Be designed and operated to capture and transport all the purged process fluid to a control device that meets the requirements of § 63.1015; or
(4) Collect, store, and transport the purged process fluid to a system or facility identified in paragraph (c)(4)(i), (c)(4)(ii), or (c)(4)(iii) of this section.
(i) A waste management unit as defined in 40 CFR 63.111 or 40 CFR part 63, subpart G, if the waste management unit is complying with the provisions of 40 CFR part 63, subpart G, applicable to group 1 wastewater streams. If the purged process fluid does not contain any organic HAP listed in table 9 of 40 CFR part 63, subpart G, the waste management unit need not be subject to, and operated in compliance with the requirements of 40 CFR part 63, subpart G, applicable to subject wastewater steams provided the facility has a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit or sends the wastewater to an NPDES-permitted facility.
(ii) A treatment, storage, or disposal facility subject to regulation under 40 CFR part 262, 264, 265, or 266; or
(iii) A facility permitted, licensed, or registered by a State to manage municipal or industrial solid waste, if the process fluids are not hazardous waste as defined in 40 CFR part 261.
(5) Containers that are part of a closed-purge system must be covered or closed when not being filled or emptied.
(d)In-situ sampling systems. In-situ sampling systems and sampling systems without purges are exempt from the requirements of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section.
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.