(a) The requirements of this subpart apply to the owner or operator of each secondary aluminum production facility as defined in § 63.1503.
(b) The requirements of this subpart apply to the following affected sources, located at a secondary aluminum production facility that is a major source of hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) as defined in § 63.2 :
(1) Each new and existing aluminum scrap shredder;
(2) Each new and existing thermal chip dryer;
(3) Each new and existing scrap dryer/delacquering kiln/decoating kiln;
(4) Each new and existing group 2 furnace;
(5) Each new and existing sweat furnace;
(6) Each new and existing dross-only furnace;
(7) Each new and existing rotary dross cooler; and
(8) Each new and existing secondary aluminum processing unit.
(c) The requirements of this subpart pertaining to dioxin and furan (D/F) emissions and associated operating, monitoring, reporting and recordkeeping requirements apply to the following affected sources, located at a secondary aluminum production facility that is an area source of HAPs as defined in § 63.2 :
(1) Each new and existing thermal chip dryer;
(2) Each new and existing scrap dryer/delacquering kiln/decoating kiln;
(3) Each new and existing sweat furnace;
(4) Each new and existing secondary aluminum processing unit, containing one or more group 1 furnace emission units processing other than clean charge.
(d) The requirements of this subpart do not apply to facilities and equipment used for research and development that are not used to produce a saleable product.
(e) If you are an owner or operator of an area source subject to this subpart, you are exempt from the obligation to obtain a permit under 40 CFR part 70 or 71, provided you are not required to obtain a permit under 40 CFR 70.3(a) or 71.3(a) for a reason other than your status as an area source under this subpart. Notwithstanding the previous sentence, you must continue to comply with the provisions of this subpart applicable to area sources.
(f) An aluminum die casting facility, aluminum foundry, or aluminum extrusion facility shall be considered to be an area source if it does not emit, or have the potential to emit considering controls, 10 tons per year or more of any single listed HAP or 25 tons per year of any combination of listed HAP from all emission sources which are located in a contiguous area and under common control, without regard to whether or not such sources are regulated under this subpart or any other subpart. In the case of an aluminum die casting facility, aluminum foundry, or aluminum extrusion facility which is an area source and is subject to regulation under this subpart only because it operates a thermal chip dryer, no furnace operated by such a facility shall be deemed to be subject to the requirements of this subpart if it melts only clean charge, internal scrap, or customer returns.
[65 FR 15710, Mar. 23, 2000, as amended at 67 FR 79814, Dec. 30, 2002; 70 FR 75346, Dec. 19, 2005]
Title 40 published on 2012-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.