(a) No owner or operator of any existing or new affected source shall cause or allow the application of any coating to a ship with an as-applied VOHAP content exceeding the applicable limit given in Table 2 of this subpart, as determined by the procedures described in § 63.785 (c)(1) through (c)(4). For the compliance procedures described in § 63.785 (c)(1) through (c)(3), VOC shall be used as a surrogate for VOHAP, and Method 24 of appendix A to 40 CFR part 60 shall be used as the definitive measure for determining compliance. For the compliance procedure described in § 63.785(c)(4), an alternative test method capable of measuring independent VOHAP shall be used to determine compliance. The method must be submitted to and approved by the Administrator.
(b) Each owner or operator of a new or existing affected source shall ensure that:
(1) At all times the owner or operator must operate and maintain any affected source, including associated air pollution control equipment and monitoring equipment, in a manner consistent with safety and good air pollution control practices for minimizing emissions. Determination of whether such operation and maintenance procedures are being used will be based on information available to the Administrator which may include, but is not limited to, monitoring results, review of operation and maintenance procedures, review of operation and maintenance records, and inspection of the source.
(2) All handling and transfer of VOHAP-containing materials to and from containers, tanks, vats, drums, and piping systems is conducted in a manner that minimizes spills.
(3) All containers, tanks, vats, drums, and piping systems are free of cracks, holes, and other defects and remain closed unless materials are being added to or removed from them.
(c)Approval of alternative means of limiting emissions.
(1) The owner or operator of an affected source may apply to the Administrator for permission to use an alternative means (such as an add-on control system) of limiting emissions from coating operations. The application must include:
(i) An engineering material balance evaluation that provides a comparison of the emissions that would be achieved using the alternative means to those that would result from using coatings that comply with the limits in Table 2 of this subpart, or the results from an emission test that accurately measures the capture efficiency and control device efficiency achieved by the control system and the composition of the associated coatings so that the emissions comparison can be made;
(ii) A proposed monitoring protocol that includes operating parameter values to be monitored for compliance and an explanation of how the operating parameter values will be established through a performance test; and
(iii) Details of appropriate recordkeeping and reporting procedures.
(2) The Administrator shall approve the alternative means of limiting emissions if, in the Administrator's judgment, postcontrol emissions of VOHAP per volume applied solids will be no greater than those from the use of coatings that comply with the limits in Table 2 of this subpart.
(3) The Administrator may condition approval on operation, maintenance, and monitoring requirements to ensure that emissions from the source are no greater than those that would otherwise result from this subpart.
[60 FR 64336, Dec. 15, 1995, as amended at 76 FR 72069, Nov. 21, 2011]
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.