40 CFR 65.85 - Procedures.
(a) Vapor tightness. For the purposes of demonstrating vapor tightness to determine compliance with § 65.84(c)(2), the following procedures and equipment shall be used:
(1) The pressure test procedures specified in Method 27 of appendix A of 40 CFR part 60; and
(2) A pressure measurement device that has a precision of ±2.5 millimeters of mercury (0.10 inch) or better and that is capable of measuring above the pressure at which the tank truck or railcar is to be tested for vapor tightness.
(b) Engineering assessment. Engineering assessment to determine if a vent stream is halogenated or flow rate of a gas stream includes, but is not limited to, the following examples:
(1) Previous test results, provided the tests are representative of current operating practices at the process unit.
(2) Bench-scale or pilot-scale test data representative of the process under representative operating conditions.
(3) Maximum flow rate or halogen emission rate specified or implied within a permit limit applicable to the process vent.
(4) Design analysis based on accepted chemical engineering principles, measurable process parameters, or physical or chemical laws or properties.
(c) Halogenated vent stream determination. In order to determine whether a vent stream is halogenated, the mass emission rate of halogen atoms contained in organic compounds shall be calculated as specified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (2) of this section.
(1) The vent stream concentration of each organic compound containing halogen atoms (parts per million by volume by compound) shall be determined based on any of the following procedures:
(iii) Concentration of organic compounds containing halogens measured by Method 18 of appendix A of 40 CFR part 60; or
(iv) Any other method or data that have been validated according to the applicable procedures in Method 301 of appendix A of 40 CFR part 63.
(2) Equation 85-1 of this section shall be used to calculate the mass emission rate of halogen atoms:
E = Mass of halogen atoms, dry basis, kilograms per hour.
K2 = Constant, 2.494 × 10−6 (parts per million)−1 (kilogram-mole per standard cubic meter) (minute/hour), where standard temperature is 20 °C.
Vs = Flow rate of gas stream, dry standard cubic meters per minute, determined according to Method 2, 2A, 2C, or 2D of appendix A of 40 CFR part 60, as appropriate, or determined using engineering assessment as specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
n = Number of halogenated compounds j in the gas stream.
j = Halogenated compound j in the gas stream.
m = Number of different halogens i in each compound j of the gas stream.
i = Halogen atom i in compound j of the gas stream.
Cj = Concentration of halogenated compound j in the gas stream, dry basis, parts per million by volume.
Lji = Number of atoms of halogen i in compound j of the gas stream.
Mji = Molecular weight of halogen atom i in compound j of the gas stream, kilogram per kilogram-mole.
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.