40 CFR 86.1214-85 - Analytical gases.
(ii) Optionally, for response factor determination, single blends of methanol using air as the diluent.
(2) Fuel for the evaporative emission enclosure FID (or HFID for methanol-fueled vehicles) shall be a blend of 40 ±2 percent hydrogen with the balance being helium. The mixture shall contain less than 1 ppm equivalent carbon response. 98 to 100 percent hydrogen fuel may be used with advance approval by the Administrator.
(3) The allowable zero air impurity concentration shall not exceed 1 ppm equivalent carbon response.
(4) “Zero grade air” includes artificial “air” consisting of a blend of nitrogen and oxygen with oxygen concentrations between 18 and 21 mole percent.
(5) The use of proportioning and precision blending devices to obtain the required analyzer gas concentrations is allowable provided their use has been approved in advance by the Administrator.
(b) Calibration gases (not including methanol) shall be traceable to within one percent of NIST (formerly NBS) gas standards, or other gas standards which have been approved by the Administrator.
(c) Span gases (not including methanol) shall be accurate to within two percent of true concentration, where true concentration refers to NIST (formerly NBS) gas standards, or other gas standards which have been approved by the Administrator.
(1) Be traceable to within ±2 percent of NIST (formerly NBS) gas standards, or other gas standards which have been approved by the Administrator; and
(2) Remain within ±2 percent of the labeled concentration. Demonstration of stability shall be based on a quarterly measurement procedure with a precision of ±2 percent (two standard deviations), or other method approved by the Administrator. The measurement procedure may incorporate multiple measurements. If the true concentration of the gas changes by more than two percent, but less than ten percent, the gas may be relabeled with the new concentration.
[48 FR 1456, Jan. 12, 1983, as amended at 60 FR 34359, June 30, 1995]
Title 40 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.