40 CFR 86.311-79 - Miscellaneous equipment; specifications.
(1) The minimum chart speed allowed is 3 inches per minute for gasoline-fueled engines and 0.5 inches per minute for Diesel engines.
(2) When testing gasoline-fueled engines all chart recorders (analyzers, torque, rpm, etc.) shall be provided with Automatic markers which indicate one second intervals. Preprinted chart paper (one second intervals) may be used in lieu of the automatic markers provided the correct chart speed is used.
(1) Humidity conditioned air supply. Air that has had its absolute humidity altered is considered humidity-conditioned air. For this type of intake air supply, the humidity measurements must be made within the intake air supply system, and after the humidity conditioning has taken place.
(2) Nonconditioned air supply. Humidity measurements in non-conditioned intake air supply systems must be made in the intake air stream entering the supply system. Alternatively, the humidity measurements can be measured within the intake air supply stream.
(3) Engine intake air temperature measurement must be made within 48 inches of the engine. The measurement location must be made either in the supply system or in the air stream entering the supply system.
(d) Sample component surface temperature. For each component (pump, sample line section, filters, etc.) in the heated portion of the sampling system that has a separate source of power or heating element, use engineering judgment to locate the coolest portion of that component and monitor the temperature at that location. If several components are within an oven, then only the surface temperature of the component with the largest thermal mass and the oven temperature need be measured.
(e) If water is removed by condensation, the sample gas temperature or sample dew point must be monitored either within the water trap or downstream. It may not exceed 7 °C (45 °F).
[42 FR 45154, Sept. 8, 1977, as amended at 46 FR 50495, Oct. 13, 1981; 47 FR 49807, Nov. 2, 1982]
Title 40 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.