40 CFR 86.406-78 - Introduction, structure of subpart, further information.
(a) This subpart contains general provisions regulating the emission of air pollution from new motorcycles. Test procedures are found in subpart F.
(1) Requirements. Sections 86.407 to 86.415.
(3) Test fleet selection. Sections 86.418 to 86.423.
(4) Service accumulation, testing, maintenance, certification. Sections 86.424 to 86.439.
(5) Administrative provisions. Sections 86.440 to 86.444.
(1) New motorcycles, produced by a manufacturer whose projected U.S. sales of motorcycles is 10,000 or more units (for the model year in which certification is sought) shall demonstrate compliance with all general standards and all specific emission requirements before they can be sold in the United States. The manufacturer is required to submit an application with sales data, product information, required maintenance, testing and service accumulation procedures. The Administrator will select vehicle(s) which will represent the manufacturer's product line. The manufacturer is required to construct these vehicles to be representative of actual production. Service is accumulated and emission tests performed with data submitted to the Administrator. The Administrator may run his own tests to confirm the manufacturer's results. The Administrator will review the data and either grant or deny certification. If the manufacturer wishes to make changes to a certified vehicle, or to produce a new vehicle, the Administrator must be notified. The Administrator may require testing to demonstrate continued compliance with emission standards. Each vehicle must be labeled with tune up specifications and the purchaser must be supplied with maintenance instructions. Also, information on production vehicles must be supplied to the Administrator.
(2) New motorcycles produced by a manufacturer whose projected U.S. sales of motorcycles is less than 10,000 units (for the model year in which certification is sought) shall meet both the general standards and specific emission requirements described in §§ 86.401 through 86.417, § 86.425, § 86.437, and §§ 86.440 through 86.444 of this subpart before they can be sold in the United States. The manufacturer is required to submit an application containing a statement that his vehicles conform to the applicable emission standards. The manufacturer is required to retain in his records, but not submit with the application, valid emission test data which support his statement. The Administrator will review the application and either grant or deny certification. Each vehicle must be labeled with tune up specifications and the purchaser must be supplied with maintenance instructions. Also, information on production vehicles must be supplied to the Administrator.
(d) Manufacturers who are considering an application should contact: Director, Vehicle Programs and Compliance Division, Environmental Protection Agency, 2565 Plymouth Rd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105 and state whether he/she plans to certify for total sales of greater than or less than 10,000 vehicles for the applicable model year.
[42 FR 1126, Jan. 5, 1977, as amended at 63 FR 11849, Mar. 11, 1998]
Title 40 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.