Amending the application and certificate of conformity.
(a) The manufacturer of nonroad compression-ignition engines must notify the Administrator when changes to information required to be described in the application for certification are to be made to a product line covered by a certificate of conformity. This notification must include a request to amend the application or the existing certificate of conformity. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, the manufacturer shall not make said changes or produce said engines prior to receiving approval from EPA.
(b) A manufacturer's request to amend the application or the existing certificate of conformity shall include the following information:
(1) A full description of the change to be made in production or of the engine to be added;
(2) Engineering evaluations or data showing that engines as modified or added will comply with all applicable emission standards; and
(3) A determination whether the manufacturer's original test fleet selection is still appropriate, and if the original test fleet selection is determined not to be appropriate, proposed test fleet selection(s) representing the engines changed or added which would have been required if the engines had been included in the original application for certification.
(c) The Administrator may require the manufacturer to perform tests on the engine representing the engine to be added or changed.
(d) Decision by Administrator.(1) Based on the description of the proposed amendment and data derived from such testing as the Administrator may require or conduct, the Administrator will determine whether the proposed change or addition would still be covered by the certificate of conformity then in effect.
(2) If the Administrator determines that the change or new engine(s) meets the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity is amended.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the changed or new engine(s) does not meet the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the certificate of conformity will not be amended. The Administrator shall provide a written explanation to the manufacturer of the decision not to amend the certificate. The manufacturer may request a hearing on a denial.
(e) A manufacturer may make changes in or additions to production engines concurrently with notifying the Administrator as required by paragraph (a) of this section, if the manufacturer complies with the following requirements:
(1) In addition to the information required in paragraph (b) of this section, the manufacturer must supply supporting documentation, test data, and engineering evaluations as appropriate to demonstrate that all affected engines will still meet applicable emission standards.
(2) If, after a review, the Administrator determines additional testing is required, the manufacturer must provide required test data within 30 days or cease production of the affected engines.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the affected engines do not meet applicable requirements, the Administrator will notify the manufacturer to cease production of the affected engines and to recall and correct at no expense to the owner all affected engines previously produced.
(4) Election to produce engines under this paragraph will be deemed to be a consent to recall all engines which the Administrator determines do not meet applicable standards and to cause such nonconformity to be remedied at no expense to the owner.
[59 FR 31335, June 17, 1994. Redesignated at 63 FR 56995, Oct. 23, 1998]
Title 40 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.