40 CFR 91.122 - Amending the application and certificate of conformity.
(1) When either an engine is to be added to a certificate of conformity or changes are to be made to a product line covered by a certificate of conformity which may potentially affect emissions, emissions durability, an emission related part, or the durability of an emission related part. Notification occurs when the manufacturer submits and EPA receives a request to amend the original application prior to either producing such engines or making such changes to a product line. For existing technology OB/PWC engines only, notification may occur periodically but must occur at least on a quarterly basis and may be submitted summarily as determined by the Administrator.
(2) When an FEL is changed for an engine family, as allowed under § 91.203. Notification occurs when the manufacturer submits and EPA receives a request to amend the original application. The manufacturer may not change an FEL unless compliance under § 91.207(b) is maintained through the use of the revised FEL.
(b) The request to amend the engine manufacturer's existing certificate of conformity must include the following information:
(3) Engineering evaluations or reasons why the original test engine or FEL is or is not still appropriate.
(c) The Administrator may require the engine manufacturer to perform tests on an engine representing the engine to be added or changed.
(1) Based on the submitted request and data derived from such testing as the Administrator may require or conduct, the Administrator must determine whether the proposed addition or change would still be covered by the certificate of conformity then in effect.
(2) If the Administrator determines that the new or changed engine(s) meets the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity will be amended.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the new or changed engines would not be covered by the certificate of conformity, the Administrator must provide a written explanation to the engine manufacturer of his or her decision not to amend the certificate. The manufacturer may request a hearing on a denial. See § 91.125.
(4) If the Administrator determines that the revised FEL meets the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity will be amended to reflect the revised FEL. The certificate of conformity is revised conditional upon compliance under § 91.207(b).
(1) Alternatively, an engine manufacturer may make changes in or additions to production engines concurrently with requesting to amend the application or certification of conformity as set forth in paragraph (b) of this section, if the manufacturer determines that all affected engines will still meet applicable Family Emission Limits (FELs). The engine manufacturer must supply supporting documentation, test data, and engineering evaluations as appropriate to support its determination.
(2) If, after a review, the Administrator determines additional testing is required, the engine manufacturer must provide required test data within 30 days or cease production of the affected engines.
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.