40 CFR 91.501 - Applicability.
prev | next
(a) The requirements of this subpart F are applicable to all marine spark-ignition engines subject to the provisions of subpart A of this part 91.
(1) This subpart F applies to marine spark-ignition outboard engines beginning with model year 1999.
(2) This subpart F applies to marine spark-ignition personal watercraft engines beginning with model year 2000.
(b) The Administrator may waive the provisions of this subpart for a manufacturer or a specific engine family, as specified in paragraphs (b) (1), (2) and (3) of this section.
(1) The provisions of this subpart are waived for existing technology OB/PWC through model year 2003.
(2) Upon request by a manufacturer, the Administrator may waive the provisions of this subpart for existing technology OB/PWC for a specific engine family through model year 2005 if the Administrator determines that the engine family will be phased out of production for sale in the U.S. by the end of model year 2005. As a condition to receiving such a waiver for either model year 2004, 2005 or both, the manufacturer must discontinue production of engines for sale in the U.S. according to a schedule determined by the Administrator upon granting this waiver. Failure to do so by the manufacturer will void ab initio the applicable certificate of conformity.
(3) A manufacturer request under paragraph (b)(2) of this section must be in writing and apply to a specific engine family. The request must identify the engine family designation, a written rationale supporting the FEL choice, the type of information used as a basis for the FEL (e.g., previous emission tests, development tests), the specific source of the information including when the information was generated, the requested schedule for phasing the engine family out of production, and any other information the Administrator may require.
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.