(a) At least 30 days before the initiation of garnishment proceedings, GSA will send, by first class mail, overnight delivery service, or hand delivery to the debtor's last known address a written notice informing the debtor of—
(1) The nature and amount of the debt;
(2) The intention of GSA to initiate proceedings to collect the debt through deductions from pay until the debt and all accumulated interest, penalties and administrative costs are paid in full; and
(3) The debtor's rights, including those set forth in paragraph (b) of this section, and the time frame within which the debtor may exercise his or her rights.
(b) The debtor will be afforded the opportunity—
(1) To inspect and copy Agency records related to the debt;
(2) To enter into a written repayment agreement with GSA under terms agreeable to the Agency; and
(3) To request a hearing in accordance with § 105-57.005 of this part concerning the existence and/or amount of the debt, and/or the terms of the proposed repayment schedule under the garnishment order. However, the debtor is not entitled to a hearing concerning the terms of the proposed repayment schedule if these terms have been established by written agreement under paragraph (b)(2) of this section.
(c) The notice required by this section may be included with GSA's demand letter required by 41 CFR 105-55.010.
(d) GSA will keep a copy of the evidence of service indicating the date of submission of the notice. The evidence of service may be retained electronically so long as the manner of retention is sufficient for evidentiary purposes.
Title 41 published on 2009-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.