(a) Adjustments for renal transplantation centers.(1) CMS adjusts the prospective payment rates for inpatient operating costs determined under subparts D and E of this part for hospitals approved as renal transplantation centers (described at §§ 405.2170 and 405.2171 of this chapter) to remove the estimated net expenses associated with kidney acquisition.
(2) Kidney acquisition costs are treated apart from the prospective payment rate for inpatient operating costs, and payment to the hospital is adjusted in each reporting period to reflect an amount necessary to compensate the hospital for reasonable expenses of kidney acquisition.
(b) Costs of kidney acquisition. Expenses recognized under this section include costs of acquiring a kidney, from a live donor or a cadaver, irrespective of whether the kidney was obtained by the hospital or through an organ procurement agency. These costs include—
(1) Tissue typing, including tissue typing furnished by independent laboratories;
(2) Donor and recipient evaluation;
(3) Other costs associated with excising kidneys, such as donor general routine and special care services;
(4) Operating room and other inpatient ancillary services applicable to the donor;
(5) Preservation and perfusion costs;
(6) Charges for registration of recipient with a kidney transplant registry;
(7) Surgeons' fees for excising cadaver kidneys;
(9) Costs of kidneys acquired from other providers or kidney procurement organizations;
(10) Hospital costs normally classified as outpatient costs applicable to kidney excisions (services include donor and donee tissue typing, work-up, and related services furnished prior to admission);
(11) Costs of services applicable to kidney excisions which are rendered by residents and interns not in approved teaching programs; and
(12) All pre-admission physicians services, such as laboratory, electroencephalography, and surgeon fees for cadaver excisions, applicable to kidney excisions including the costs of physicians services.
[50 FR 12741, Mar. 29, 1985, as amended at 57 FR 39824, Sept. 1, 1992]
Title 42 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.