Special treatment: Hospitals with high percentage of ESRD discharges.
(a) Criteria for classification. CMS provides an additional payment to a hospital for inpatient services provided to ESRD beneficiaries who receive a dialysis treatment during a hospital stay, if the hospital has established that ESRD beneficiary discharges, excluding discharges classified into MS-DRG 652 (Renal Failure), MS-DRG 682 (Renal Failure with MCC), MS-DRG 683 (Renal Failure with CC), MS-DRG 684 (Renal Failure without CC/MCC) and MS-DRG 685 (Admit for Renal Dialysis), where the beneficiary received dialysis services during the inpatient stay, constitute 10 percent or more of its total Medicare discharges.
(b) Additional payment. A hospital that meets the criteria of paragraph (a) of this section is paid an additional payment for each ESRD beneficiary discharge except those excluded under paragraph (a) of this section.
(1) The payment is based on the estimated weekly cost of dialysis and the average length of stay of ESRD beneficiaries for the hospital.
(2) The estimated weekly cost of dialysis is the average number of dialysis sessions furnished per week during the 12-month period that ended June 30, 1983 multiplied by the average cost of dialysis for the same period.
(3) The average cost of dialysis includes only those costs determined to be directly related to the dialysis service. (These costs include salary, employee health and welfare, drugs, supplies, and laboratory services.)
(4) The average cost of dialysis is reviewed and adjusted, if appropriate, at the time the composite rate reimbursement for outpatient dialysis is reviewed.
(5) The payment to a hospital equals the average length of stay of ESRD beneficiaries in the hospital, expressed as a ratio to one week, times the estimated weekly cost of dialysis multiplied by the number of ESRD beneficiary discharges except for those excluded under paragraph (a) of this section. This payment is made only on the Federal portion of the payment rate.
[50 FR 12741, Mar. 29, 1985, as amended at 57 FR 39824, Sept. 1, 1992; 69 FR 49244, Aug. 11, 2004; 73 FR 48755, Aug. 19, 2008]
Title 42 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.