Participation, data submission, and validation requirements under the Hospital Inpatient Quality Review (IQR) Program.
(a) Participation in the Hospital IQR Program. In order to participate in the Hospital IQR Program, a section 1886(d) of the hospital must-
(1) Register on QualityNet.org, before it begins to report data;
(2) Identify and register a QualityNet Administrator as part of the registration process under paragraph (a)(1) of this section; and
(3) Submit a completed Notice of Participation Form to CMS if the hospital is participating in the program for the first time, has previously withdrawn from the program and would like to participate again, or has received a new CMS Certification Number (CNN).
(i) A hospital that would like to participate in the program for the first time (and to which paragraph (a)(3)(ii) of this section does not apply), or that previously withdrew from the program and would now like to participate again, must submit to CMS a completed Notice of Participation Form by December 31 of the fiscal year preceding the fiscal year in which it wishes to participate.
(ii) A hospital that has received a new CCN and would like to participate in the program must submit a completed Notice of Participation Form to CMS no later than 180 days from the date identified as the open date on the approved CMS Quality Improvement Evaluation System (QIES).
(b) Withdrawal from the Hospital IQR Program. CMS will accept Hospital IQR Program withdrawal forms from hospitals on or before August 15 of the fiscal year preceding the fiscal year for which a Hospital IQR payment determination will be made.
(c) Submission and validation of Hospital IQR Program data.(1) General rule. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, subsection (d) hospitals that participate in the Hospital IQR Program must submit to CMS data on measures selected under section 1886(b)(3)(B)(viii) of the Act in a form and manner, and at a time, specified by CMS. A hospital must begin submitting data on the first day of the quarter following the date that the hospital submits a completed Notice of Participation form under paragraph (a)(3) of this section.
(2) Exception. Upon request by a hospital, CMS may grant an extension or waiver of one or more data submission deadlines in the event of extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the hospital. Specific requirements for submission of a request for an extension or waiver are available onQualityNet.org.
(d) Validation of Hospital IQR Program data. CMS may validate one or more measures selected under section 1886(b)(3)(B)(viii) of the Act by reviewing patient charts submitted by selected participating hospitals.
(1) Upon written request by CMS or its contractor, a hospital must submit to CMS a sample of patient charts that the hospital used for purposes of data submission under the program. The specific sample that a hospital must submit will be identified in the written request. A hospital must submit the patient charts to CMS or its contractor within 30 days of the date identified on the written request.
(2) A hospital meets the validation requirement with respect to a fiscal year if it achieves a 75-percent score, as determined by CMS.
(e) Reconsiderations and appeals of Hospital IQR Program decisions.(1) A hospital may request reconsideration of a decision by CMS that the hospital has not met the requirements of the Hospital IQR Program for a particular fiscal year. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, a hospital must submit a reconsideration request to CMS no later than 30 days from the date identified on the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program Annual Payment Update Notification Letter provided to the hospital.
(2) A reconsideration request must contain the following information:
(i) The hospital's CMS Certification Number (CCN);
(ii) The name of the hospital;
(iii) Contact information for the hospital's chief executive officer and QualityNet system administrator, including each individual's name, e-mail address, telephone number, and physical mailing address;
(iv) A summary of the reason(s), as set forth in the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program Annual Payment Update Notification Letter, that CMS concluded the hospital did not meet the requirements of the Hospital IQR Program;
(v) A detailed explanation of why the hospital believes that it complied with the requirements of the Hospital IQR Program for the applicable fiscal year;
(vi) Any evidence that supports the hospital's reconsideration request, including copies of patient charts, e-mails and other documents; and
(vii) If the hospital has requested reconsideration on the basis that CMS concluded it did not meet the validation requirement set forth in paragraph (d) of this section, the reconsideration request must contain the following additional information:
(A) A copy of each patient chart that the hospital timely submitted to CMS or its contractor in response to a request made under paragraph (d)(1) of this section; and
(B) A detailed explanation identifying which data the hospital believes was improperly validated by CMS and why the hospital believes that such data are correct.
(3) A hospital that is dissatisfied with a decision made by CMS on its reconsideration request may file an appeal with the Provider Reimbursement Review Board under part 405, subpart R of this chapter.
[76 FR 51782, Aug. 18, 2011]
Title 42 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.