For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions apply:
Complex rehabilitative power-driven wheelchair means a power-driven wheelchair that is classified as—
(1) Group 2 power wheelchair with power options that can accommodate rehabilitative features (for example, tilt in space); or
(2) Group 3 power wheelchair.
Covered item update means the percentage increase in the consumer price index for all urban consumers (U.S. city average) (CPI-U) for the 12-month period ending with June of the previous year.
Durable medical equipment means equipment, furnished by a supplier or a home health agency that meets the following conditions:
(1) Can withstand repeated use.
(2) Effective with respect to items classified as DME after January 1, 2012, has an expected life of at least 3 years.
(3) Is primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose.
(4) Generally is not useful to an individual in the absence of an illness or injury.
(5) Is appropriate for use in the home.
Prosthetic and orthotic devices means—
(1) Devices that replace all or part of an internal body organ, including ostomy bags and supplies directly related to ostomy care, and replacement of such devices and supplies;
(2) One pair of conventional eyeglasses or contact lenses furnished subsequent to each cataract surgery with insertion of an intraocular lens; and
(3) Leg, arm, back, and neck braces, and artificial legs, arms, and eyes, including replacements if required because of a change in the beneficiary's physical condition.
The following are neither prosthetic nor orthotic devices—
(1) Parenteral and enteral nutrients, supplies, and equipment;
(2) Intraocular lenses;
(3) Medical supplies such as catheters, catheter supplies, ostomy bags, and supplies related to ostomy care that are furnished by an HHA as part of home health services under § 409.40(e) of this chapter;
(4) Dental prostheses.
Region means those carrier service areas administered by CMS regional offices.