(a)Information. An MA organization that has a contract under subpart K of this part must inform each Medicare enrollee eligible to select hospice care under § 418.24 of this chapter about the availability of hospice care (in a manner that objectively presents all available hospice providers, including a statement of any ownership interest in a hospice held by the MA organization or a related entity) if—
(1) A Medicare hospice program is located within the plan's service area; or
(2) It is common practice to refer patients to hospice programs outside that area.
(b)Enrollment status. Unless the enrollee disenrolls from the MA plan, a beneficiary electing hospice continues his or her enrollment in the MA plan and is entitled to receive, through the MA plan, any benefits other than those that are the responsibility of the Medicare hospice.
(1) No payment is made to an MA organization on behalf of a Medicare enrollee who has elected hospice care under § 418.24 of this chapter, except for the portion of the payment attributable to the beneficiary rebate for the MA plan, described in § 422.266(b)(1) plus the amount of the monthly prescription drug payment described in § 423.315 (if any). This no-payment rule is effective from the first day of the month following the month of election to receive hospice care, until the first day of the month following the month in which the election is terminated.
(2) During the time the hospice election is in effect, CMS' monthly capitation payment to the MA organization is reduced to the sum of—
(i) An amount equal to the beneficiary rebate for the MA plan, as described in § 422.304(a)(3) or to zero for plans with no beneficiary rebate, described at § 422.304(a)(2); and
(ii) The amount of the monthly prescription drug payment described in § 423.315 (if any).
(3) In addition, CMS pays through the original Medicare program (subject to the usual rules of payment)—
(i) The hospice program for hospice care furnished to the Medicare enrollee; and
(ii) The MA organization, provider, or supplier for other Medicare-covered services to the enrollee.