(a) Consistent with § 423.1970(a), an enrollee may request a hearing before an ALJ if—
(1) The enrollee files a written request for an ALJ hearing within 60 calendar days after receipt of the written notice of the IRE's reconsideration; and
(2) The enrollee meets the amount in controversy requirements of § 423.1970.
(b) An enrollee may request that the hearing before an ALJ be expedited if:
(1) The appeal involves an issue specified in § 423.566(b) but does not include solely a request for payment of Part D drugs already furnished.
(2) The enrollee submits a written or oral request for an expedited ALJ hearing within 60 calendar days of the date of the written notice of an IRE reconsideration determination. The request can only be submitted after the enrollee receives the written IRE reconsideration notice. The request should also explain why applying the standard timeframe may seriously jeopardize the life or health of the enrollee; and
(3) The enrollee meets the amount in controversy requirements of § 423.1970.
(c) The ALJ must document all oral requests for expedited hearings in writing and maintain the documentation in the case files.
(d) For purposes of this section, the date of receipt of the reconsideration is presumed to be 5 calendar days after the date of the written reconsideration, unless there is evidence to the contrary.
(e) For purposes of meeting the 60 calendar day filing deadline, the request is considered as filed on the date it is received by the entity specified in the IRE's reconsideration.
Title 42 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.