42 CFR 434.40 - Contract requirements.
prev | next
(a) Contracts with health insuring organizations that are not subject to the requirements in section 1903(m)(2)(A) must:
(1) Meet the general requirements for all contracts and subcontracts specified in § 434.6;
(i) If the contractor assumes the full underwriting risk, specify that payment of the capitation fees to the contractor during the contract period constitutes full payment by the agency for the cost of medical services provided under the contract;
(ii) If the contractor assumes less than the full underwriting risk, specify how the risk is apportioned between the agency and the contractor;
(3) Specify whether the contractor returns to the agency part of any savings remaining after the allowable costs are deducted from the capitations fees, and if savings are returned, the apportionment between agency and the contractor; and
(4) Specify the extent, if any, to which the contractor may obtain reinsurance of a portion of the underwriting risk.
(1) Specify that the capitation fee will not exceed the limits set forth under part 447 of this chapter.
(2) Specify that, except as permitted under paragraph (b) of this section, the capitation fee paid on behalf of each beneficiary may not be renegotiated—
(3) Specify that the capitation fee will not include any amount for recoupment of any specific losses suffered by the contractor for risks assumed under the same contract or a prior contract with the agency; and
(c) The capitation fee may be renegotiated more frequently than annually for beneficiaries who are not enrolled at the time of renegotiation or if the renegotiation is required by changes in Federal or State law.
[55 FR 51295, Dec. 13, 1990]
Title 42 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.