42 CFR 435.948 - Requesting information.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (f) of this section, the agency must request information from the sources specified in this paragraph for verifying Medicaid eligibility and the correct amount of medical assistance payments for each applicant (unless obviously ineligible on the face of his or her application) and beneficiary. The agency must request—
(1) State wage information maintained by the SWICA during the application period and at least on a quarterly basis;
(2) Information about net earnings from self-employment, wage and payment of retirement income, maintained by SSA and available under Section 6103(l)(7)(A) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, for applicants during the application period and for beneficiaries for whom the information has not previously been requested;
(3) Information about benefit and other eligibility related information available from SSA under titles II and XVI of the Social Security Act for applicants during the application period and for beneficiaries for whom the information has not previously been requested;
(4) Unearned income information from the Internal Revenue Service available under Section 6103(l)(7)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, during the application period and at least yearly;
(5) Unemployment compensation information maintained by the agency administering State unemployment compensation laws (under the provisions of section 3304 of the Internal Revenue Code and section 303 of the Act) as follows:
(i) For an applicant, during the application period and at least for each of the three subsequent months;
(ii) For a beneficiary that reports a loss of employment, at the time the beneficiary reports that loss and for at least each of the three subsequent months.
(iii) For an applicant or a beneficiary who is found to be receiving unemployment compensation benefits, at least for each month until the benefits are reported to be exhausted.
(6) Any additional income, resource, or eligibility information relevant to determinations concerning eligibility or correct amount of medical assistance payments available from agencies in the State or other States administering the following programs as provided in the agency's State plan:
(vii) Any State program administered under a plan approved under Title I (assistance to the aged), X (aid to the blind), XIV (aid to the permanently and totally disabled), or XVI (aid to the aged, blind, and disabled in Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands) of the Act.
(b) The agency must request information on applicants from the sources listed in paragraph (a)(1) through (a)(5) of this section at the first opportunity provided by these sources following the receipt of the application. If an applicant cannot provide an SSN at application, the agency must request the information at the next available opportunity after receiving the SSN.
(c) The agency must request the information required in paragraph (a) of this section by SSN, using each SSN furnished by the individual or received through verification.
(d) Exception: In cases where the individual is institutionalized, the agency needs to obtain and use information from SWICA only during the application period and on a yearly basis, and from unemployment compensation agencies only during the application period. An individual is institutionalized for purposes of this section when he or she is required to apply his or her income to the cost of medical care as required by §§ 435.725, 435.733, and 435.832.
(1) The Secretary may, upon application from a State agency, permit an agency to request and use income information from a source or sources alternative to those listed in paragraph (a) of this section. The agency must demonstrate to the Secretary that the alternative source(s) is as timely, complete and useful for verifying eligibility and benefit amounts. The Secretary will consult with the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of Labor before determining whether an agency may use an alternate source.
(2) The agency must continue to meet the requirements of this section unless the Secretary has approved the request.
(f) Exception: If the agency administering the AFDC program, or SSA under section 1634 of the Act, determines the eligibility of an applicant or beneficiary, the requirements of this section do not apply to that applicant or beneficiary.
Effective Date Note:
At 77 FR 17211, Mar. 23, 2012, § 435.948 was revised, effective Jan. 1, 2014. For the convenience of the user, the revised text is set forth as follows:
§ 435.948 Verifying financial information.
(a) The agency must in accordance with this section request the following information relating to financial eligibility from other agencies in the State and other States and Federal programs to the extent the agency determines such information is useful to verifying the financial eligibility of an individual:
(1) Information related to wages, net earnings from self-employment, unearned income and resources from the State Wage Information Collection Agency (SWICA), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), the agencies administering the State unemployment compensation laws, the State-administered supplementary payment programs under section 1616(a) of the Act, and any State program administered under a plan approved under Titles I, X, XIV, or XVI of the Act; and
(2) Information related to eligibility or enrollment from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the State program funded under part A of title IV of the Act, and other insurance affordability programs.
(b) To the extent that the information identified in paragraph (a) of this section is available through the electronic service established in accordance with § 435.949 of this subpart, the agency must obtain the information through such service.
(c) The agency must request the information by SSN, or if an SSN is not available, using other personally identifying information in the individual's account, if possible.
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.