§ 440.50Physicians' services and medical and surgical services of a dentist.
(a) “Physicians' services,” whether furnished in the office, the beneficiary's home, a hospital, a skilled nursing facility, or elsewhere, means services furnished by a physician—
(1) Within the scope of practice of medicine or osteopathy as defined by State law; and
(2) By or under the personal supervision of an individual licensed under State law to practice medicine or osteopathy.
(b) “Medical and surgical services of a dentist” means medical and surgical services furnished, on or after January 1, 1988, by a doctor of dental medicine or dental surgery if the services are services that—
(1) If furnished by a physician, would be considered physician's services.
(2) Under the law of the State where they are furnished, may be furnished either by a physician or by a doctor of dental medicine or dental surgery; and
(3) Are furnished by a doctor of dental medicine or dental surgery who is authorized to furnish those services in the State in which he or she furnished the services.
[56 FR 8851, Mar. 1, 1991]
Title 42 published on 2013-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.