42 CFR 57.208 - Health professions student loan promissory note and disclosure requirements.
(a) Promissory note form. Each health professions student loan must be evidenced by a properly executed promissory note in a form approved by the Secretary. The school must safeguard the promissory note against fire, theft, and tampering.
(1) Each promissory note must state that the loan will bear interest on the unpaid balance computed only for periods during which repayment of the loan is required, at the rate of 5 percent per year.
(2) Each promissory note must contain an acceleration clause provided by the Secretary, which will permit the acceleration of delinquent loans at the school's option.
(b) Security. A school must require security or endorsement if the borrower is a minor and if, under the applicable State law, the note signed by him or her would not create a binding obligation. The school may not require security or endorsement in any other circumstances.
(1) For any loan made after June 30, 1986, the school shall, at the time the loan is made, provide the following loan information to the student:
(iv) The interest rate that will be paid by the borrower and the minimum amount of the required monthly payment;
(vi) Any options the borrower may have for deferral, cancellation, prepayment, consolidation, or other refinancing of the loan;
(vii) A definition of default on the loan and a specification of the consequences which will result to the borrower if the borrower defaults, including a description of any arrangements which may be made with credit bureau organizations;
(viii) To the extent practicable, the effect of accepting the loan on the eligibility of the borrower for other forms of student assistance; and
(ix) A description of the actions that may be taken by the Federal Government to collect the loan, including a description of the type of information concerning the borrower that the Federal Government may disclose to:
(B) Officers, employees, or agents of schools with which the Secretary has an agreement under this subpart, or
(2) For any loan made after June 30, 1986, the school shall, prior to the borrower's completion or termination of studies at the school, provide the following loan information to the student:
(iii) A schedule for the repayment of the amounts borrowed under this subpart, including the number, amount, and frequency of payments to be made.
(3) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraphs (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this section, the school must comply with the applicable requirements of Truth in Lending Regulation Z (12 CFR part 226).(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 0915-0047)
[44 FR 29055, May 18, 1979, as amended at 48 FR 25069, June 3, 1983; 50 FR 34420, Aug. 23, 1985; 52 FR 20987, June 3, 1987; 56 FR 19293, Apr. 26, 1991; 57 FR 45734, Oct. 5, 1992]
Title 42 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.