(a) The CIR-LRP will repay participants' lenders the principal, interest, and related expenses of qualified Government and commercial educational loans obtained by participants for the following:
(1) Undergraduate, graduate, and health professional school tuition expenses;
(2) Other reasonable educational expenses required by the school(s) attended, including fees, books, supplies, educational equipment and materials, and laboratory expenses; and
(3) Reasonable living expenses, including the cost of room and board, transportation and commuting costs, and other living expenses as determined by the Secretary.
(b) The following educational loans are ineligible for repayment under the CIR-LRP:
(1) Loans obtained from other than a government entity or commercial lending institution;
(2) Loans for which contemporaneous documentation is not available;
(3) Loans or portions of loans obtained for educational or living expenses which exceed the standard of reasonableness as determined by the participant's standard school budget for the year in which the loan was made, and are not determined by the Secretary to be reasonable based on additional documentation provided by the individual;
(4) Loans, financial debts, or service obligations incurred under the following programs: Physicians Shortage Area Scholarship Program (Federal or State), National Research Service Award Program, Public Health and National Health Service Corps Scholarship Training Program, National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program, Armed Forces (Army, Navy, or Air Force) Health Professions Scholarship Program, Indian Health Service Program, and similar programs, upon determination by the Secretary, which provide loans, scholarships, loan repayments, or other awards in exchange for a future service obligation;
(5) Any loan in default or not in a current payment status;
(6) Loan amounts which participants have paid or were due for payment prior to inception into the CIR-LRP; and
(7) Loans for which promissory notes have been signed after the individual's acceptance into the CIR-LRP.
Title 42 published on 2012-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.