(i) Requests for access to records shall be submitted to the system manager having responsibility for the system in which the records are maintained unless the system notice describing the system prescribes or permits submission to some other official or officials.
(ii) If a system notice describing a system requires individuals to contact more than two officials concerning access to records in the system, individuals desiring to request access to records pertaining to them may contact the system manager for assistance in determining which official is most likely to be in custody of records pertaining to that individual.
(2) Individuals desiring access to records maintained in two or more separate systems shall submit a separate request for access to the records in each system.
(b)Form of request.
(1) A request for access to records subject to the Privacy Act shall be in writing.
(2) To insure expeditious handling, the request shall be prominently marked, both on the envelope and on the face of the request, with the legend “PRIVACY ACT REQUEST FOR ACCESS.”
(3) Requesters shall specify whether they seek all of the records contained in the system which relate to them or only some portion thereof. If only a portion of the records which relate to the individual are sought, the request shall reasonably describe the specific record or records sought.
(4) If the requester seeks to have copies of the requested records made, the request shall state the maximum amount of copying fees which the requester is willing to pay. A request which does not state the amount of fees the requester is willing to pay will be treated as a request to inspect the requested records. Requesters are further notified that under § 2.64(d) the failure to state willingness to pay fees as high as are anticipated by the Department will delay processing of a request.
(5) The request shall supply such identifying information, if any, as is called for in the system notice describing the system.
(6) Requests failing to meet the requirements of this paragraph shall be returned to the requester with a written notice advising the requester of the deficiency in the request.
[40 FR 44505, Sept. 26, 1975, as amended at 48 FR 56585, Dec. 22, 1983]
Title 43 published on 2014-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 43.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.